What are the Barrier Bags?
Barrier bags are unique bags made to protect the content inside. The bag is sealed to prevent dirt, moisture, and other impurities. Barrier bags are either made with heavy specific properties to counter smell or puncture. The bags are available depending on the industry you are working in, or else they are simply available on a large scale in the market.
A barrier bag will stop the smell, gas, or light movement. They can, therefore, serve a better function in food preservation and will ultimately reduce food wastage a lot.
There are different materials used in the manufacture of barrier bags. The material will determine the purpose and, more so, the oxygen transmission rate. The most common custom material is foil.
Barrier bag Alternatives
Check out the options available when looking for a barrier bag to suit your storage needs.
1. Nylon/ Poly Coextruded Bags
These are the most utilized barrier bag materials in the history of barrier bag manufacture. The oxygen transmission rate for this type ranges between 2-5cc. They are widely used because of their affordability. Their OTR is also a great contributor since their counterparts; the pallet wrapper stretch firm, has an OTR of 450-500cc. The best barrier bag ought to have a lower OTR. To increase the preservation times, gas flush works well.
2. Nylon/ Poly Coextruded Opaque Barrier Bags
The opaque bags are similar to poly coextruded but are made of opaque color to block sunlight. Black and white is a commonly used color. The bags are used while seeking to preserve products which are more sensitive to light and oxygen. Opaque bags offer the best food preservation ways.
3. Nylon/ EVOH Coextruded Barrier Bags
EVOH storage is used when storing acidic or products high in oil. The importance of EVOH, Ethylene Vinyl Alcohol can be laminated with nylon to make these bags at home. The material reduces transmission and heightens the storage period. Going the EVOH way is also a contributor to lower OTR. It takes the OTR down to 0.02. This type works best with nuts, metal plants, and dried fruits, among others.
4. Foil+PET/LLDPE Barrier bag clear Front
The other foil in this bag reduces the bag’s permeability. The bags display the contents carried. These bags will serve you best if you are interested in increasing the barriers as you display the bag content at the same time.
5. Foil+PET/LLDPE Barrier Bags
This is all-foil enclosure bags. The bag prevents internal content from lighting and offers the highest oxygen barriers. These enclosed foil bags can be used in coffee, dairy products, and cannabis preservation.
There are several additional options to be considered when getting a barrier bag.
1. Printing will not make the bag more expensive but determines the transmission levels.
2. Hanger holes type. The custom barrier bag should consider the hanger holes. They give much more privacy. Through hanger holes, you can display more sales options.
3. Childproof Re-Closable seal.-this seal is the best to have in a home with small kids. The childproof means it will keep the content far from the children. The bags contain a hidden lip, which has to be pulled to open the seal.
4. Re-closable seal. The takes care of wasting many barrier bags. The bag has a re-closable seal. This means it’s possible to preserve food after the initial opening.